Monday, April 21, 2008

Better late than never

So it turns out that I actually have readers. WHEEE! Of course this means that I actually should start, you know, writing. >.>

That being said here is my review of the Seattle Green Festival which took place weekend before last.

We actually got to the festival pretty late on Sunday since I was not having a good day. I feel like I still got a really good feel for the convention despite being unable to hear any of the speakers. Next year my goal is to go for both days (maybe as press if my blog gets big enough hopehope).

The goodness started at the registration desk. John and I had free tickets from being delegates at the Democratic Convention, but Green Festival had partnered with Better World Books to offer a discount for people who donated their used books. I'm a big fan of Better World Books and like what they are trying to do. While at the convention I got a chance to talk to one of their representatives about some suggestions I had and they were excited to hear what I had to say, especially when I mentioned that I was getting my master's in library science. I got the guy's card with his e-mail address and will hopefully have many more productive conversations with this company.

The first set of exhibits was for Seattle Climate Action NOW. Most were programs that I already knew about but the information was FANTASTIC for beginners. (Oh heck, even the queen of green learned a thing or two but I'll never admit that again.) I did find out about the Way to go Seattle program which encourages people to drive less by offering incentives for good behavior. Well, one of those rewards is for selling a car so your household has more drivers than vehicles so hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of that.

Once we got into the main area we were assaulted by every kind of eco friendly business imaginable. There was everything from green toys, organic food and beer (w00t beer), to natural fiber wedding dresses. I met lots of great people who really care about the planet and got a bunch of samples which I'll be reviewing here as they get used. Overall this was an amazing experience and helped me to realize that what I'm doing here IS important and that I'm not the only one who cares. So check out the Green Festival website and see if it's coming to a city near you. I guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That festival had a lot of hippies selling their woo crap, but they were actually small in number compared to the ordinary, right-minded folks who were just there to learn how they could help. It was a damn good thing and made my day a lot better.

Katya said...

I found out about Better World Books just recently & I'm so in love. Its nice to be doing nice things for other people. But mostly I just really like cheap books.