Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Would someone please slap the government

"Hard-working American families are suffering from higher gasoline prices. John McCain calls on Congress to suspend the 18.4 cent federal gas tax and 24.4 cent diesel tax from Memorial Day to Labor Day. "

I sometimes think that maybe I shouldn't spend all day listening to the news as half the time I'm one step away from a screaming fit. NO NO NO, the idea of a gas tax holiday is NOT the answer. However, other people (including Barack Obama) have explained this much better than I so instead I'm going to write about how to reduce our demand on oil.

First and foremost we, as a nation, must get it through our big fat heads that we need to drive less. I've had it quoted at me that if people drive 10 fewer miles a week it would reduce their carbon emissions by 500 lbs a year. Now, I'm not saying that you should take that figure as gospel but 10 miles a week isn't much AND the equation is easy
Less driving = less gas used = less demand for fuel + less pollution + $$ saved
How can you do this? Walk, bike, ride the bus, carpool and combine trips. This isn't something everyone doesn't already know, but most are just too damn lazy to do it. Well get off your ass and do something if nothing else you'll have a little more money in your pocket for your other vices.

So since everyone already knows about that what else can you do?

Well buying local always works. The average American meal travels about 1,200 miles from where it is grown to your table which takes engergy, lots of it. So get to know your small local farmers especially the ones who use responsible farming practices. Not only will you get fantastic food you will be saving the family farm which has been a part of our nation's history from the get go. One way to do this is at local farmer's market (remember to bring some totes). These are so much fun and you get to meet the people who grow your food face to face which is so rewarding. You can also participate in a Community Sponsored Agriculture program (CSA). Each program is different but John and I get a box of produce every other week for $60 a month. The food is always very fresh and it makes us try things that we might have otherwise passed up. (I never knew fennel was sooo yummy).

Okay, this is it for the day. For some reason the writing juices aren't flowing. So sorry to my readers and I'll be back in force next time.

1 comment:

Katya said...

I'm so excited about moving back to Austin where they have a decent bus system and less sprawl so you can actually walk places. Even though I have a car with really great gas mileage, I feel guilty.