Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Plastic bags blow, disposables suck!

Do you know what pisses me off? The fact that you appear to have no readers? Well yes, but besides that. Pretty much everything? I mean your blogs name IS Mean Green Girl.

Smartass.

But seriously, I get really pissed off every time I see a new disposable product out that replaces a perfectly serviceable reusable product. For example, while taking my car, which I am selling, to the car wash yesterday (Brown Bear Car Wash, which is a much greener alternative to hand washing your car) John pointed out a billboard for a new disposable razor replacing one with heads that you changed out. Okay people, lets have a little reality check. Do you know what those little disposable things are made out of? Plastic. Do you know what plastic is made out of? Petroleum.

That's right kiddies all of your little disposable plastic bits are made out of non-biodegradable petroleum products and I don't know if I missed the memo but last I remembered this was a non-renewable resource that we are currently at war to get more of. So just taking that into consideration (and ignoring the fact that creating more trash then before is bad) shouldn't we be trying to find alternatives that use less and NOT more petroleum? DUH

So Miss Smartypants, what do you suggest
you ask. Well, there are lots of alternatives to your average disposable razor. You can always get a name brand razor with replaceable heads or an electric razor (and if you ever find one of these that works well let me know). Both options are a bit expensive so I recommend the preserve recycled razor. John and I have been using these for about half a year now and have been really impressed. The handles are made of 100% recycled plastic and are themselves recyclable. The heads are replaceable, are really affordable and last for a long time. Overall I give these 4 out of 5 trees with a deduction that the heads still have to eventually be thrown away.

No comments: