Thursday, April 3, 2008

Work work work

One of the great things about working in the public sector is that it tends to embrace environmental measures faster than most large companies. The University of Washington has a number of really fantastic programs including all sorts of recycling, composting and discount bus passes for employees. Now, don't get my wrong; I LOVE the U for doing this, but really, what kind of green girl would I be if I didn't go further? And I have to say, I've been pleased at my co-workers willingness, nay in some cases eagerness, to go the extra steps to waste less.

Here are some of the easy to implement things we've started doing around the office for those of you looking for ideas.

1. Technology is freaking brilliant, use it. Seriously, drag your co-workers kicking and screaming into the 21st century. If they want something faxed ask if it can be scanned and e-mailed instead. I would put down money that unless it's an official signature the answer will be yes. Woot- now the person on the receiving end doesn't have any extra paper unless they choose to print the document out themselves.

2. Print on the back of used paper. I work in an office where lots and lots of drafts of things are printed for editing. Because of this we keep the printer stocked with used paper and have plain white paper on the side for official documents. I do the supply ordering for our department and have noticed a significant reduction in the amount of paper I order since we started this. Thus not only are we saving trees but we're also saving money (always a good thing to tell your boss when trying to make changes) AND have reduced our carbon footprint by having fewer deliveries.

3. Reuse post-it notes. Being the office grunt I get lots and lots of post-its from people asking me to do things. Before I would toss the notes in the recycling as soon as I was done, but then I noticed the crazy number that would fall out of my desk's bin. Usually there is only a line or two on a full sized sheet, often written in pencil so now I have a post-it dispenser on my desk with reusable paper and haven't opened a new pack in months.

Oh yeah, if people start worrying about your office's image with printing on the back of things remind them that green is in. Every time I give someone a reused piece of paper I just let them know that we are trying to waste as little as possible and have had a 100% positive response.

No comments: